Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Rabble: My Big Sister's Sticker Collection

I have always loved stickers. Big ones, small ones, and ones of all sorts of finishes, there is no discrimination here! I had a very shabby looking sticker collection, and still do - up to this date. It's filled with... Well, I'll just leave this for another post. But my favourite stickers have always been the ones from my Big Sister's sticker collection. 

When I was younger, around the age of 6, my sister would often come home with new sheets of Sandylion stickers to add to her sticker collection box. She would buy these from her workplace, when she was working at the Video 99 store down the block. She would keep all of her stickers in a beautiful light teal watercolour pattern tin box, with a lovely watercolour painting on the lid to match. This tin box was always a treat to sight in my sister's room, which was only on rare occasions as she would often shoo my second sister and I away every time we were to peep into her room whenever she had it out.

(Note: Sandylion Stickers would come in the sheet which includes three squares of stickers. This obviously isn't as popular now. Best stickers ever!!!)

We moved into my Grandmother's home a few years later when I was 9. It was a full house and there was not much space, so it wasn't long before I was able to identify where my Big Sis hid the miraculous teal tin box. 
Whenever I was assured that my sister wasn't going to be home for a while, I would often sneak into the basement in hunt for the teal box. I was always surprised to see it in the same spot each time, right beneath her desk, neatly tucked to the right of her Cosmopolitian magazine stash. I would sit on the cold tiles of her bedroom floor and unveil the familiar cold feeling of the tin box in my hands. I would creak open the tin lid and quietly shuffle through each sheet, makings sure that I stacked each in the correct order, while absolutely admiring the texture, shine and images of each one.


Ten years later, I am back in Canada. After my little brother's 11th birthday celebration, my Big Sis let me choose which ever I pleased from her same sticker collection. Oh boy was I excited to see this tin box again. Looking at the picture time stamps - I took well over an hour looking through each stack. 

The many different finishes...
 Ones with silver sparkles, transparent kind of reflectants, furry ones! and hexagon-ish sparkles at every angle.

And my absolute favourite ones of her stash...!!!
 These recovering bear ones, hehe. These Sandylion stickers reflected like no other. My sister received a square of stickers from the doctor each time she got a needle. We had the coolest doctor ever. He had a whole drawer of Sandylion stickers we could choose from! But my second sister and I only ever received candy.When I was younger, my sister let me have the bandaid one of one of her sheets. That's clearly long gone now.

 Other cutie ones...!

 I love the colours of these ones too - look at the turtle! So cute.

 And, dogs, dogs, dogs!!! And a close up! The middle sheet are fur dogs ☺.

Other cute sights in my Big Sister's sticker collection...
 This was one of my favourite stickers. I loved how cutesy this saying was. And look at this De Grassi coloured Merry Xmas themed stickers - hehe, a pink giraffe and a blue dog!!!

The sight of my desk
So so so many goodies!

And I will eventually show you my... scarce sticker collection, with much not story to it. 

2 comments:

  1. My favourite one was the sick bears too!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE STICKERS!!! I have a ridiculous collection accumulated from all these years, i should tweet you them one day hehe.
    Omg the recovering bear and the sea animals are too cute!!

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete